This help guide will assist you in creating/managing your NIH Biosketch in EDGE.
- Research Logix profile has been created at https://my.rlogx.com
Creating your Biosketch
- Log in with your Research Logix account information (email address and password). This is not a Johns Hopkins site, so it does not use your JHED ID and password.
- Once you’re logged in, the landing page shows you the faculty assigned to you. You must first choose a faculty member to work under by clicking their tile.
- While working as a faculty member, click the “EDGE” link on the lefthand navigation list. You can verify which faculty member you are working under by checking their name in the navigation list or top “breadcrumb trail”:
- On the EDGE Document list, you can either start a new biosketch by clicking the +New button, or modify an existing biosketch by clicking Actions→EDGE Console.
- The lefthand navigation list now shows 9 EDGE Document (biosketch) sections:
- Biosketch Header
- Personal Statement
- Scientific Appointments
- Contributions to Science
- This section contains information about the document itself.
- Name/Description: You may enter a name and description for the document that appears in the document list. This name is for your own use and does not appear on the biosketch itself, but allows you to differentiate biosketches for different purposes in the document list.
- Tags: Administration can create Tags with checkboxes, to allow you to associate a biosketch version with data collection for specific large grants or other purposes. If you are creating a biosketch for a specific grant, check the appropriate checkbox.
Biosketch Header: Contains information that does not usually need to be updated.
- eRA Commons user name
- URL to full publication list on MyBibliography
- If there has previously been a personal statement entered for the faculty, it will appear here. Check the box next to the statement that you would like to include for this biosketch.
- To create a new statement, click the +New EDGE Item box on the top row.
- To associate publications with a personal statement, click the Linked Publications button at the end of the statement.
- With the new biosketch format starting May 2021, you may list ongoing or previous research grants that you would like to highlight after the personal statement. In EDGE, this option is handled through the Research section.
- Check the boxes (or click the Select All button) to include previously entered education information
- Click the +New EDGE Item button to add new education items.
- Check the boxes (or click the Select All button) to include previously entered position information
Click the +New EDGE Item button to add new position items.
- This section used to be Memberships, and previous Memberships entered will continue to be listed. The new biosketch format as of May 2021 does not include simple memberships in societies. Instead, it includes any Scientific Appointments in universities, societies, institutions, or other organizations.
- The biosketch will list any checked items in the same list as Positions, in one combined list of Positions and Scientific Appointments.
- As with Education and Positions sections, check the boxes of any previously entered information, or click the +New Edge Item button to add new information.
- Honors: As with Education and Positions sections, check the boxes of any previously entered information, or click the +New Edge Item button to add new information.
Contributions to Science:
- The biosketch format allows up to 5 Contributions to Science to be listed. Each may include up to 4 citations that can include any research product. For our faculty, this is most commonly publications, but can also include other products such as software, educational materials, audio or visual products, patents, data and research materials, databases, models, protocols, or any other product resulting from their research.
- Previously entered Contributions will be listed. Click the check box to include any existing Contributions on the biosketch.
- To alter the order in which Contributions are listed on the final biosketch, use the star rankings at the bottom of each Contribution description. The item with the most stars will be listed first, and so on.
- To add or remove publications to the Contribution, click the Linked Publications button. See Linking Publications section for more information.
- To add a new Contribution, click the +New EDGE Item button on the top row of buttons. You may enter a Title and Overview that will only be listed on the EDGE site and not included on the biosketch.
- In previous biosketch formats, this information was listed in Section D, at the end of a biosketch. In the new biosketch format, this is optional information that may be listed after the Personal Statement to highlight selected ongoing or completed research.
- Research items previously entered appear with checkboxes. Check the box of any items you would like to include.
- The order of items on the biosketch can be controlled through the stars, as in the Contributions to Science section.
- Click the +New EDGE Item button on the top row to add a new research project. The biosketch will include only the Sponsor, PI, Role, start/end date, Grant Number, and Title fields. The Project Summary is no longer included on the biosketch.